Not everyone’s dream home looks like it’s straight from the pages of Architectural Digest. Some of us gravitate toward something that feels more at home around Sioux City, and a growing number of homeowners are finding that barndominium homes in the Tri-State area are a great fit. Combining a classic form with modern building methods and conveniences, a barndominium or pole barn home from Koskovich and Murphy might be just right for you, too!
What Is a Barndominium?
A barndominium is one of the oldest types of post-frame buildings. Originally, it drew its name from a living space attached to a barn or stable. While that’s still common enough, these days barndominiums take all kinds of different shapes, from free-standing houses to homes attached to other structures like a commercial building or retail establishment. As we’re about to see, a barndominium has some advantages that just might surprise you.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Barndominiums?
As you weigh your options, it’s important to consider the pros and cons of barndominiums so you can come to an informed decision.
Pros of Barndominium in Siouxland
First, let’s see what the advantages of a barndominium are.
- Cost: The total cost of building a barndominium vs a home is going to be cheaper. Taking into account the plumbing, materials used and labor to assemble the home/barn, a barndominium is going to save you money upfront and in the long run considering they are more energy efficient than a traditional home.
- Construction: Post-frame buildings transfer the structural load to exterior walls, unlike stick-built structures that use load-bearing interior walls. That means fewer interior supports and more open space, which is perfect for open-plan homes.
- Windows: Who doesn’t love natural light? Barndominium construction makes it easy to include lots of glazed surfaces to make the most of available light, which can save money on energy besides making your home seem light and airy.
- Durability: With post-frame building maintenance, a barndominium can last for decades.
Flexibility: From the initial design through to future additions, and concerning the wide number of uses they allow (including agricultural pole barns and commercial post-frame buildings), a barndominium allows a lot of flexibility.
- “Green” Building: Pole barns’ smaller number of thermal breaks lead to higher energy efficiency and less money spent on utilities.
- Ease to Build: Because they don’t use traditional framing, barndominiums use fewer materials and take less time to build. That, in turn, often leads to a structure that’s less costly to build.
Cons of Barndominiums in the Tri-State Area
While they have many attractive features, barndominiums have their drawbacks too.
- Permits and inspections can be more stringent, and some municipalities won’t allow for post-frame homes at all.
- In many respects, barndominium financing is also stuck in the dark ages; it can be harder to get than a traditional mortgage.
- If you want or need a basement, a barndominium isn’t well-suited to that.
- Your choice of post-frame building contractor matters too since not all of them will deliver a fully-finished structure (we’ll discuss this further in a moment).
Factors Impacting Cost of a Barndominium in the Tri Cities Area?
This is one of the few places where post-frame and traditional construction overlap. There are several variables in play for any construction project, including the size and design of the home, the materials and fixtures you choose, and the degree of site preparation involved. For that reason, your quote will be as individualized as your project.
Building a Barndominium in the Sioux City Metro Area
Earlier, we spoke about cost as one of the prime selling points of a barndominium. But when you’re weighing your options, it helps to look a bit deeper. Rather than choosing a dollar figure, stop to consider value, too. What will your post-frame building contractor deliver when the work is done? An empty shell that still needs a lot of finishing, or a turnkey structure that’s waiting for you and your belongings to move in? At Koskovich and Murphy Developments we believe that if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right, so your new barndominium will be move-in ready from the day we finish work. To learn more, or to consult on custom post-frame building solutions, call or fill out a form to get in touch with us today!